Your brands logo is your first point of contact with the outside world. It has to capture the essence of your product or service and brand. If people connect with your branding on a deeper level, they will be more open to the product or service that you’re offering.
Great logo design requires a complex mixture of design skills, creative theory and skilful application. It’s important to work alongside a skilled graphic designer to produce the right logo for you and your brand.
Questions to Ask Yourself
Below we’ve outlined the top questions you should ask yourself before going to your designer. The answers to these questions will not only help the graphic designer, they will also help you identify all of your branding needs.
- How would you describe your services? What are the key words that you often use?
- What is the overall market you are looking to reach (demographics, interests, location)?
- Who are your main competitors?
- How do you differ from your competition?
- How do you want to be perceived by others? (For example, friendly, approachable, technologically advanced, etc.)
- What are some logos that you like? Why do you like them?
- Is there a specific image you have in mind?
- What is the overall look and feel you want for your logo?
- Do you have certain colours that you prefer?
- Where will your logo be used? (This is an important question. Your logo should be able to be used on anything, not just business cards, letterhead and marketing. Think about advertising specialties such as pens, ball caps, etc.).
- If you’re redesigning your logo, what is the reason for the redesign? What do you like and dislike about your current logo?
- And finally, the time frame. When do you plan to start using your new logo?
Answering these questions is important for both you, the client, and the graphic designer. As the client, you’ve boiled down your thoughts, needs and preferences into a condensed form and the designer now has a better understanding of you and your business. It’s a win-win for both parties, and will result in a great logo that has the look and feel that you want.
If you would like help in designing the right logo for you reach out for a chat or visit our Graphic Design section for more information.